Here are my notes from the four Saturday lighning talks in RuPy 2013.
- Open source reimplementation of EC2. "Not really fair thing to say, but close". Cloud management system. Lets you set up a private cloud in your hardware. Or a public cloud.
- How we use OpenStack to manage OpenStack: TripleO - OpenStack on OpenStack
- 4-5 key management components: Nova (scheduler), Heat (orchestrator, like Amazon CloudFormation), Glance, Neutron.
- Bare metal provisioning with Nova. A Heat template, describing how to orchestrate an OpenStack instance with different kinds of nodes. Feed that to Nova scheduler which goes to a bare metal provider.
Rails Girls Summer of Code
- Three months of open source coding for women. Paid. No need to do it in the "evening hours"
- Sinatra, Rubinius, Bundler, Spree.
- Raised 80 000€ from sponsors. Got 10 teams to work full time. Some worked voluntarily.
- Instead of GSOC style "high-level code", more for getting an understanding about what the open source world is about. Less scary than entering one of the other "summer of code" programs.
- Want to get involved with Rails Girls? Contact.
- Go to the website to get information about organizing a Rails Girls event.
Living without Cookies
- But no one is going to sue us for it? There is a lawsuit going on in Spain about it.
- Do not set tracking cookies without consent. Splash page? Lame.
- Find a way to not use cookie and deliver a quality service.
- Google Analytics: Fingerprint instead of cookie. Server-side using GA's measurement protocol. Do your analytics/usability-oriented testing like this.
- Social Sharing buttons also set cookies. Also illegal.
- Directive says explicitly that should be opt-in, apparently some countries have a law for opt-out.
Hacking Super Mario Bros with Python
- How do they fit the Mario universe in a tiny ROM?
- Downloaded Mario ROM, wrote a Python script for extracking it.
- Looking at bits not so nice, added matplotlib to look at the bits.
- Bits are in 8 byte chunks. Two chunks next to each other give you a picture.
- When you go further on you see familiar things. They are pieces of Mario. 8 sprites are put together for Mario's body.
- Put together Mario's poses using matplotlib. Also question boxes, coins, mushrooms. All made of four different sprites together.
- Synthesizing with matplotlib animation package, an animated Gif with the extracted stuff!
- Zelda not so easy, because they've done clever things with the ROM. Mario was one of the first games so they were using a simple scheme for it.
Know Your AngularJS Inside Out
Build Your Own AngularJS helps you understand everything there is to understand about AngularJS (1.x). By creating your very own implementation of AngularJS piece by piece, you gain deep insight into what makes this framework tick. Say goodbye to fixing problems by trial and error and hello to reasoning your way through them