Here are my notes from Cody Somerville's talk in RuPy 2013 about OpenShift.
- OpenStack is a platform providing IaaS. Pulls your resources together and wraps it in an API from which you can provision and de-providion resources.
- Platform, like Android or iPhone means an ecosystem of resources and people.
- Lots of big players involved
- 1633 unique contributors from over 50 companies. Average 380-400 / month.
- Managing complexity: Through consistency of tools, infrastructure, release processes. Through transparency (all code publicly visible). Through never breaking trunk, through test automation, through limiting project scope (SOA). Through an egalitarian mindset ("everyone's evil"), by reviewing all code in multiple passes. Through self-governance, by letting projects select their own leads. Through using Python - simple, accessible.
- Submitting a review: A command called
git reviewsubmits your stuff to Gerrit.
- Everyone can contribute to reviews, not just core devs.
- All OpenStack projects use the same review/submission process.
Clone repo, create branch, make change, run tests,
git review. It runs all tests with your code. Core dev effort not needed up to this point ("gating process").
Automated QA: Automated tests ran immediately. Run again when change is approved to be landed.
Unit tests, integration tests (with multiple configurations), "PEP8 failed", "Rechec" counting (ElasticSearch and LogStash).
Communication using launchpad integrated to Gerrit, Etherpad, IRC, mailing lists, and a semi-annual developer summit (4000+ devs expected in November in Hong Kong).
HP brings their enterprise reliability to OpenStack. Availability, support, performance. "Everybody loves HP servers."
Know Your AngularJS Inside Out
Build Your Own AngularJS helps you understand everything there is to understand about AngularJS (1.x). By creating your very own implementation of AngularJS piece by piece, you gain deep insight into what makes this framework tick. Say goodbye to fixing problems by trial and error and hello to reasoning your way through them
- RuPy 2013: The Naming of Ducks: Where Dynamic Types Meet Smart Conventions
- RuPy 2013: Shit Happens by Olivier Hervieu